Skip to main content
doing business as

Top Questions: Do I Need to File for a DBA?

By May 24, 2017April 26th, 2019No Comments

In an effort to help those within the trucking industry better understand trucking insurance, Truck Writers publishes its Top Questions posts. These posts are inspired by real questions submitted through our Ask the Expert portal. This post will cover when a truck driver or trucking business should file for a DBA.

What is a DBA?

Every business owner must first register his or her business with the Secretary of State. During this process, the owner will select a name by which the company is to be recognized.

A DBA, or “doing business as,” is a business name that is different from the officially registered name of your company.

When is a DBA Needed?

The necessity of a DBA differs depending on whether your business is a sole proprietorship, partnership, LLC, or existing corporation.

  • Sole Proprietors or Partnerships – If you wish to start a business under anything other than your real name, you’ll need to register a DBA so that you can do business as another name.
  • Existing Corporations or LLCs – If your business is already set up and you want to do business under a name other than your existing corporation or LLC name, you will need to register a DBA.

For example, consider this: Jane Doe sets up a sole proprietor trucking operation. Instead of operating under her legal name, Doe chooses to name her business: “ABCXYZ Trucking.” This name is considered an assumed name, and Doe will need to register it with the appropriate local government agency.

Once Jane Doe registers her DBA, her company will be legally recognized as “Jane Doe dba ABCXYZ Trucking.” Doe may then accept payments and open a bank account under “ABCXYZ Trucking.”

How do I File for a DBA?

Most states require all businesses to register a DBA with their Office of the Secretary of State. This can be done by visiting the Secretary of State website or through a third-party provider (i.e. legalzoom).

Be sure to check what your state requires, as some may ask the business to file with the Country Clerk Office in the county out of which the business operates.

Truck Writers is an expert in trucking insurance. For more specific information about filing for a DBA, please contact a licensed professional.

If you would like to learn more about Truck Writers insurance offerings, contact an agent today!

Close Menu
Blaine, MN Office
8970 West 35W Service Dr NE
Suite 200
Blaine, MN 55449
Welcome, MN Office
605 North Guide Street
Welcome, MN 56181
Also, providing service in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and nationwide.