Skip to main content

Trucking Safety Tip of the Month: Inadequate Evasive Action

By September 6, 2017April 26th, 2019No Comments

According to the Large Truck Crash Causation Study, 14 percent of large-truck crashes occurred when CMV drivers failed to execute an evasive action.

At Truck Writers, we realize that roughly 80 percent of crashes involving a truck are caused by passenger vehicles. However, as our country works toward zero deaths, we need to work on also eliminating the other 20 percent. That’s why month’s safety tip deals with how to prevent an inadequate evasive action.

What is Inadequate Evasive Action?

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration defines inadequate evasive action as the following: Situations when drivers fail to execute a proper evasive maneuver by not using sufficient steering inputs, not braking appropriately, or a combination of insufficient steering and braking inputs. An examples would be failing to hit the brakes for stopped traffic.

Safely Evading a Traffic Accident

More often than not, an event ruled to be the result of a CMV driver’s inadequate evasive action is the result of the driver being distracted. While it is not always possible to avoid an accident, here are three recommendations on how to educate your drivers on avoiding a preventable accident.

Increase Awareness

Did you know it takes about 3/4 of a second from the moment your brain sends the signal to your foot to move from the accelerator to when your foot actually applies the brake? On average, this amount of time would allow a big rig to travel roughly 60 feet.

By focusing on the traffic ahead, a driver will be able to increase his or her awareness and be more likely to avoid a potential accident.

Recognize Hazards

How’s the weather? Are you driving in rush hour? Are the roads under construction? Train your drivers to recognize situations that result in more hazards on the road, and how to deal with these hazards.

Slow Down

Four-wheelers may view your rig as an obstacle to be passed; however, an increase in speed is not worth the potential for an accident. Always follow the posted speed limit, and trust your gut to slow down when the weather is bad or traffic is thick.

Truck Writers works with its trucking clients to improve their safety cultures. To setup a meeting with an agent, contact Truck Writers today.

Close Menu
Blaine, MN Office
8970 West 35W Service Dr NE
Suite 200
Blaine, MN 55449
Welcome, MN Office
605 North Guide Street
Welcome, MN 56181
Also, providing service in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and nationwide.