Skip to main content

Trucking Safety Tip of the Month: Unfamiliar Roadways

By August 16, 2017April 26th, 2019No Comments

According to the Large Truck Crash Causation Study, 22 percent of large-truck crashes occurred when CMV drivers were on unfamiliar roadways.

Truck Writers recognizes that roughly 80 percent of crashes involving a truck are caused by passenger vehicles. However, as our country works toward zero deaths, we need to work on also eliminating the other 20 percent. One way of which is by talking about unfamiliar roadways and how to prepare for and handle them.

Driving on Unfamiliar Roadways

Unfamiliar roadways can range from new roads and routes to changing construction conditions. Whatever the case may be, it is always best for a CMV driver to hit the road feeling confident in his or her route.

Here are a few ways to handle driving on unfamiliar roadways.

Prepare Ahead of Time.

Always take time to review maps before hitting the road and plan your drive accordingly. Specifically, look for any low bridges or sharp turns that you should be prepared to encounter. It also never hurts to look online to see if there are any detours along the way.

Checking the weather ahead of time can also help drivers prepare. If conditions look stormy, be sure to allow extra time for driving.

Drive with Caution.

While it is always best to drive the speed limit, it is especially important to do so when driving down unfamiliar roadways. Not only do you want to allow yourself time to take in your surroundings, but you want to be sure that you’re prepared to encounter unforeseen conditions.

Also, if you miss a turn or an exit, don’t panic and look for an immediate solution. Instead, wait until there is an obvious safe place to turnaround. Be sure to also use turns signals well in advance.

At Truck Writers, we work with our clients to build a safety culture. To learn more about our trucking insurance offerings, contact an agent today.

Close Menu
Blaine, MN Office
8970 West 35W Service Dr NE
Suite 200
Blaine, MN 55449
Welcome, MN Office
605 North Guide Street
Welcome, MN 56181
Also, providing service in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and nationwide.